In the Santa Rita Chiquitano community, 10 kilometers from Concepcion, in eastern Bolivia, ancestral Chiquitano weaving techniques and cotton thread dyeing can be learned. The women have looms made of wood in each home, where long threads are installed, previously dyed with urucu (Bixa Orellana) seeds, indigo shells, and other natural products.
This community tourism initiative allows one to get involved in the Chiquitano families’ daily activities, whether in student exchange plans or short visits, in order to achieve an invaluable learning about this community’s culture and way of life. With this activity, each host family receives financial compensation, which allows them to preserve their cultural legacy and way of life.
- In addition to short visits, the Santa Rita community offers a service for tourists interested in being part of a Chiquitano family for a few days. One will be able to enjoy traditional music to the sound of drums, learn to weave and taste the local gastronomy, including a typical coffee and traditional pastries such as cunapes and freshly baked rice bread.
Way to get there:
- To get to Concepcion, the Santa Rita community is a six-hour trip by public transport from the Santa Cruz de la Sierra city Bimodal Terminal, with a ticket price of Bs 40 ($us 6.8), which can vary seasonally. If traveling in a private vehicle, take the route through Pailon to San Julian. See map here.
- Antonia Cuasace Supayabe + (591) 71083800
- Lupe Antelo + (591) 76032673
This content is taken from the “Soy Bolivia” verified guide, prepared in April 2023 with information
provided by organizations and communities involved. This guide is updated annually to ensure its
validity. In order to suggest a community tourism venture, free of charge, you are welcome to send a
WhatsApp message to the number (591) 70079347.
• Note: Prices are updated to May 2023.
Warning. The images in this guide were provided by representatives of the involved communities, who assured that they use these photographs for the respective promotions of their ventures.